Yonny Hernandez on Tech3’s shortlist of Folger MotoGP replacements – MotoGP

MotoGP


Upgrade for free today

You have only 5 articles remaining to view this month.

Yonny Hernandez is on Tech3 Yamaha’s shortlist to replace Jonas Folger for the upcoming MotoGP season and will test for the team in Malaysia.

Folger finished 10th in his rookie MotoGP campaign last year and had been re-signed by Tech 3 for 2018 alongside Johann Zarco.

He missed several races to illness and will now be forced to sit out the coming season to try to sufficiently recover.

As Autosport reported earlier this month, Tech 3 picked Hernandez as Folger’s replacement for the opening pre-season test at Sepang on January 28-30.

The team has now confirmed that Hernandez, who had previously been announced by the Pedercini Kawasaki outfit for the 2018 World Superbike season, is now a contender for the full-time ride.

“On January 20, almost everyone with the required level is already under contract, therefore I am very happy to have found out that Yonny Hernandez was so far without a contract,” said team boss Herve Poncharal.

“I know that he has got some plans and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr Pedercini letting Yonny test with us and give him the opportunity to show what he can do on a Yamaha M1 MotoGP bike.

“I am pleased to give him this possibility to test for three days and, with it, giving him the chance to show his potential to both Yamaha Motor Corporation and the Monster Yamaha Tech3 team.

“Yet, no permanent decision will be taken before we fly back from Sepang.

“We will analyse in detail how Yonny performs during this test and obviously he is one of the riders on our shortlist for 2018.”

Hernandez spent five seasons in MotoGP between 2012 and 2016, finishing a career-high 14th in the overall standings with Pramac Ducati in 2015.

The Colombian has never finished a premier-class race higher than seventh, but did lead in wet conditions at Assen two years ago before crashing out.

Hernandez said: “First of all, I have to say that I’m sorry for Jonas Folger.

“I hope he gets well very soon and back on track again, as he is an incredibly fast and talented rider and I want to wish him all the best.

“At the same time, I’m obviously happy for myself to get such a fantastic opportunity riding a MotoGP bike again.

“I’m delighted I can do the test and work with a very good team and machine.”



Source link

Articles You May Like

Buriram MotoGP test: Dani Pedrosa puts Honda top on final day – MotoGP
WRC Rally Sweden: Neuville leads, angry Tanak drops to seventh – WRC
WRC Rally Sweden: Neuville keeps hold of lead as Breen closes in – WRC
Ducati warns Jorge Lorenzo he faces a pay cut in next MotoGP deal – MotoGP
New 2018 Suzuki ‘100 times better’ than previous MotoGP bike – Rins – MotoGP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *